Skip to content


March 23, 2012
This is an exact copy of the conversation I was having with Otto via email a year ago tonight.
From: Gus
To: Otto
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 9:13 PM
Subject: what time you coming home?

From: Otto
To: Gus
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 9:15 PM
Subject: Re: what time you coming home?

11-12. Is that okay? Do you need me sooner?

From: Gus
To: Otto
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 9:23 PM
Subject: Re: Re: what time you coming home?

I’m okay.   We have contractions. Just don’t have too much to drink, okay?

Otto was out with the girls from work having one last bruhaha before the baby arrived.  I had been out with a friend helping her replace a stolen laptop, only to come home at 7pm-ish to begin having some contractions.  I decided to trial the contraction master timer on my computer and I’m glad I did.  Because two hours later I was thinking that I was in early labour with plenty of time to spare before the baby arrived.

I was in my bed doing a rapid re-read of The Birth Partner to make sure I had stored all of the information on comfort measures I needed and was mentally prepared for birth.  I blew up the birthing tub just to make sure it had sufficient air in case we had to fill it in the middle of the night.  I was tucking my big kids into bed without giving them an inkling that something was stirring.

This was two hours after the contractions began, I thought it would be prudent to email Otto.  To give her a heads up.  My contractions were manageable and 7 to 8 minutes apart at this point in time.  There was tonnes of time before the big event.

I’m glad that Otto listed to her colleagues and rushed home.  Between that flurry of emails and her arrival home, my contractions picked up pace quite a bit.  They were now between 5 and 7 minutes apart.

By 11:00 pm I was 4-1-1 so we called our midwife and doula.  I didn’t believe it, but Otto was convinced.  Neither my midwife nor doula was sure I was in labour and predicted a false alarm.  But just in case they came anyway.  They arrived at our house one after another at  around 12:00 pm and the Doodle was born at 3:30 am.

A year ago tonight I was up all night birthing my beautiful baby girl.  Tonight that same baby girl is latched on for dear life as her top molars are on the cusp of bursting through her gums.  I’ll be up all night again with her reliving the momentous labour that brought her to us in the first place.

One Comment leave one →
  1. March 25, 2012 9:29 pm

    Happy Birthday, Doodle! (And good call, Otto, on hurrying home!)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: